Sunday 17 July 2011

Summer exhibition of children's shoes & interactive games


A heart-warming exhibition of children’s shoes opens at Northampton Museum and Art Gallery in time for the summer holidays. 
First Steps features a selection of baby bootees, first shoes, school shoes, teenage trends and a host of cult shoes that were the ‘must-haves’ of their day. 
As well as the shoes there will be fun to be had with various types of shoe fastenings including the revolutionary Velcro and plenty of interactive games and activities for younger visitors.  
There will also be a chance for everyone to record their very own personal shoe memories. 
Rebecca Shawcross, Northampton Borough Council’s museum shoe officer, said: "This promises to be a lovely exhibition which will be a really great family day out over the summer holidays.
"One of my earliest memories as a child is of my mum buying me my first pair of shoes.  I remember being really excited and looking at all the brightly colours shoes.  I had my feet measured on what at the time seemed to be a really high-tech gizmo, but was little more than a ruler.  The shoes I wanted weren’t the ones my mum wanted me to have.  My favourites were red with little flowers and a tiny heel, but I ended up with brown lace-ups with little holes punched in to let the air circulate.  Heartbreakingly practical.”
 
First Steps is showing at Northampton Museum and Art Gallery from 23 July until 4 September.  Opening times are Tuesday to Saturday 10am to 5pm and Sunday 2pm to 5pm.  Admission is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment